Upon writing this week’s article, I decided that I wanted to choose an album and artist that I was completely unfamiliar with. I chose to dive into nineteen-year-old, Kansas born artist Jordana’s music – specifically her newest album, “Something to Say to You.” “Something to Say to You” is a twelve track, alternative/indie album. Her music is a unique style, but also reminds me of songs by Sasha Sloan, Lennon Stella, and Winona Oak.

This is definitely the album to listen to when you’re studying and need chill music on in the back, or when you’re just relaxing in your room. It is a beautiful, slow, and soft style of ‘bedroom’ music. While I enjoyed every song on the album, there were a few standouts that I couldn’t help but listen to on repeat.

My first favorite track is “Fu** You.” After listening to this song and analyzing the lyrics, it is about the common theme of karma coming for that guy that was a jerk to you – I’m sure a lot of people can relate to that. While being a hate and revenge song, it is just as smooth and soft as the other songs, which makes it even more empowering in my opinion. Jordana is taking a straightforward approach to calling out the people who have wronged her. We have no choice but to support that!

Next, I love “I’ll Take It Boring.” The story that Jordana describes in this track reminds me of that of Sasha Sloan’s “Normal,” because of the way that both artists just want to be home but end up going out to a party that they knew they did not want to be at in the first place. Jordana describes a Halloween party in 2017 where she spent her evening wishing she took the boring route of staying home by herself, away from the chaotic scene that was that Halloween night. This song has a more upbeat beat in the background, paired with her airy, polished voice, making it super catchy and easy to love from the first listen!

My third favorite, and Jordana’s most streamed track on Spotify, is “Reason.” While I love the sound and rhythm of this song, I really decided that it was one of my top three favorites because of the lyrics. The lyrics are made up of beautiful analogies, written just like a poem. I think that this song’s lyrics could really be up for interpretation because it is hard to know exactly what the situation is in this story. She is explaining the pure joy and peace that she feels with someone that she loves. She cannot seem to shake this person and these feelings from her mind – although, I am not sure if she wants to or not. To make things even more interesting, the music video consists of Jordana in an empty field with her dog and balloons. At the end of the video, she releases the balloons, which I am assuming signifies her love for the person she is describing in the song. The way this song keeps me guessing is something I love about it, and I want to keep seeking out answers to it.

Jordana clearly has a knack for painting a picture through her music. Throughout all of “Something to Say to You,” she is able to have a consistent tone in all of her songs, no matter what the beat may be in the background – whether it is energetic, slow, etc. I highly recommend this album for anyone who is looking to add to their collection of indie music, as well as those who are not usually familiar with this style. I look forward to seeing what else Jordana has in store for her listeners in the future. I will definitely be there ready to listen!

Kate Brooks