Twenty-six year old singer-song writer, Meghan Trainor, released her newest album, ‘TREAT MYSELF,’ on January 31 this year. With tracks featuring a stellar variety of artists, like Nicki Minaj, The Pussycat Dolls, Lennon Stella, and my personal favorite, Sasha Sloan, Meghan Trainor was sure to take the music scene by storm with this one. Although I am usually not a huge fan of this pop/party genre of music, I actually found myself wanting to dance to this album. And let’s not ignore the perfection of the artwork. This album is definitely my favorite of all of Trainor’s albums, as it includes songs that show off her powerful vocals, as well as songs that are just catchy and make you want to move. ‘TREAT MYSELF’ complements Trainor’s previous album, ‘Thank You,’ perfectly. The only thing better than listening to one album is being able to pair it with a complementary second album.

According to an interview with radio.com, ‘TREAT MYSELF’ was schedule to be released in 2018. Two years and a lot of writing later, here it is! However, she released the title song on schedule in 2018, which will remain separate from the rest of the album. After working her way out of “crazy anxiety,” Trainor’s therapist told her not to forget to “treat yourself because what you accomplished, crawling out of that dark anxiety, was pretty incredible.” These wise words lead Meghan Trainor to create this fierce album, which was written about many of Trainor’s experiences, emotions, and family life. My personal favorite track, ‘Babygirl,’ encompasses all levels of self-growth, self-love, and recovery.

Compared to her ‘All About That Bass’ era, Meghan Trainor has clearly matured in the best way possible. Listening to this album and the depth in her lyrics, it’s almost hard to believe that she is only twenty-six. She deserves some major recognition for that. But let’s not forget these features. The Pussycat Dolls making a triumphal debut in Meghan Trainor’s song!? And Nicki Minaj’s girl boss energy and vocals too! Maybe you’re not a fan of Meghan, but if you like any of these featured artists, that’s enough reason to give it a listen. Plus, you might end up discovering a new favorite song off this album.

If you’re looking for a slow song with some ballad, ‘Wave,’ ‘Babygirl,’ and ‘After You’ are the songs for you. But if you’re someone who needs a vibey mixtape, give ‘Workin’ On It,’ ‘Nice to Meet Ya,’ and ‘Have You Now’ a try. Don’t forget to give ‘Genetics’ and ‘Blink’ a listen too if you’re in the mood for an upbeat, dance-y song. And there’s more where that came from. While ‘TREAT MYSELF’ is not my favorite album of all time, I can’t help but show my respect for Trainor’s self-growth, plus her fire ability to put a variety of song styles into a cohesive album. Like I said, this is my favorite album of hers so far. Go give ‘TREAT MYSELF’ a listen. You won’t regret it!

Rating: 6/10

Top Tracks: ‘Babygirl,’ ‘Evil Twin,’ ‘Wave,’ and ‘Blink’

‘TREAT MYSELF’ is available to stream on all major platforms!