Hi, I’m Barry, and I can’t swim. Barry (I’m assuming is his name) is an upcoming member of the ever so growing British house music scene. I would not be surprised if, later rather than sooner, Barry will be up there with the likes of Fred again … , who skyrocketed to the upper hierarchy of the house music world. Barry is currently preparing to release his first album (When Will We Land) on October 20th. With this being said, this is your opportunity to hop on the fandom before the “bandwagoners” do. To prepare for When Will We Land, Barry is releasing songs from the album in increments. Each new release of a sound increases my excitement for the album. Being the most unbiased opinion ever, a single song does not miss. All of them are heaters from the get-go with the smooth, sensual rhythm of How It Feels to the interesting, confusing beat of Sonder. House music is a sub-division within the massive genre of Electronic Dance Music. The name Electric Dance Music is an illusion to Barry, as he uses real instruments to create incredible “electronic” sounding noises, how ironic! Currently the songs that have been released on the upcoming album are How It Feels, Dance of the Crab – Edit, Woman, Sunsleeper, and Sonder.

How It Feels – As I said above “Hot It Feels” is a smooth rhythm. It starts with a simple natural piano line and kick drum. Although this line is simple, it is essential to the product of the song. You can almost hear a silly conversation in the beginning background adding a sense of humor to the tune. One minute into the song it really picks up BPM. You cannot help to move your head to the beat of How It Feels.

Dance of the Crab – “Dance of the Crab” is a fitting name for this song. If you close your eyes and think hard enough the rhythm will transport you to a white sand, crystal clear blue water, Caribbean beach with all you can drink mojitos. Dance of the Crab includes wack electronic inclusions like creative tribal vocals, bells, horns, drums, and synths adding up to a happy, positive, electric, full of energy sound.

Woman – “Woman” is the best song on the current lineup of songs released. It is an ear orgasm. If you know, you know. THAT PIANO. THAT PIANO!

Sunsleeper – “Sunsleeper” is a tune I had to listen to a couple times to appreciate it. Its tempo is a little faster with quick drums to set the tone for the song. You cannot review Sunsleeper without bringing up the fantastic key solo about 1:20 in. This sound also utilizes interesting electronic alien noise vocals creating an out of body experience. The chorus beat is repeated throughout the song.

Sonder – “Sonder” was the song that introduced me to Barry Can’t Swim. Probably because it is the most popular. Yup I said it, I was introduced to this house genies from his most popular song I am a fraudulent fan. Why is this one of Barry’s most popular songs? I am glad you asked, probably because it includes Barry’s iconic aesthetically pleasing piano and a mainstream beat to get anyone hooked.

Barry is the epitome of creativity. Barry’s discography is hard to pick out. Other songs that may be on the album are “God is The Space Between Us”, “Like The Old Days”, “Can We Still Be Friends”, and ‘Fiorucci Made Me Hardcore”. I would highly recommend checking out all of these, as they, also, do not miss. Barry is keeping me on my toes with this upcoming When Will We Land album. It is this element of mystery and surprise why boredom will never kick in and obsession will rule with Barry. I cannot wait to follow the trajectory of Barry’s career. And maybe if his house career flops (and I am all wrong) Barry can acquire the free time to learn how to swim.

It’s Nuthin Personal…

Ben Belden

Photo Credits from: https://barrycantswim.com/