Flashback to 2018 when Charlie Puth’s second album Voicenotes dropped. The first thing I had to do was grab my headphones and head over to Spotify to hear all the latest songs. Four years later, I find myself doing the same thing. On October 7th, Puth dropped his third studio album Charlie, and I instantly loved it.  

A song that caught my attention right away was “Tears On My Piano.” The song starts with a soft steady drum beat that then brings in a guitar. When I first listened to this song, it reminded me of a modern “Teardrops on My Guitar” by Taylor Swift. Puth takes sad lyrics and adds them to an upbeat melody that will have you singing along. The lyrics “Can’t think of a melody, that makes you come back to me” are terribly sad, but with the rhythm of the song, you forget that it is sad. The vibe of the song reminds me of an emo-pop song I would’ve listened to around 2010 on my purple Walkman. Puth’s voice sounds incredibly fantastic, especially when he hits a falsetto in the different verses. “Tears On My Piano” is one of my favorite songs and is one of the best off this album.  

One of the singles that I think is good would be “Left and Right”, featuring Jungkook of BTS. Although I’m not a BTS fan, I do think Jungkook was an excellent choice to add to the song. The coolest thing about this song is the effect that it has when you listen to it with headphones. When lyrics say, “I can feel you over here, I can feel you over here”, you hear it on the left side of your headphones and then the right side of them. Every time I listen to this song, this always amazes me because I love this effect so much. The song is very catchy and I’m always finding myself singing it to myself.  

I must give an honorable mention to “Light switch”, “That’s Hilarious”, and “Charlie Be Quiet”. These songs are also just as catchy as the ones that were previously mentioned. I honestly think these are also good choices that Puth made to release before the album dropped.  

The whole album is not surprisingly filled with bops that had nodding my head and tapping my feet. I have always been a fan of Puth’s work and that will never change. Charlie is a phenomenal album and truly highlights the talented musician Charlie Puth is. I truly do think this is a great album and hope others listen.  

Photo Credits from: rollingstone.com