The Vancouver quartet, Peach Pit, released their third studio album, From 2 to 3, last week and it has everything we could hope for out of a Peach Pit album. Easy-going vocals and dreamy instrumentation is no stranger in Peach Pit’s discography.While incorporated into the newest album, we see a different side of the group. From 2 to 3, surprised me, a long time Peach Pit follower, with it’s newest element for the group: the storytelling. Pulling away from the ever present impassioned and youthful sounds, we are met with a more stabilized sound from the group.

The album opens with two of the three singles released from this album, “Up Granville” and “Vickie”. It would be close to criminal to release a Peach Pit album that doesn’t open with the classic driving bass and enthusiastic lead guitar remaining in an exclusively higher note range for this track. “Up Granville” comes in like a familiar friend. While on the topic of familiar friends, “Vickie” chronicles the story of a less than ideal neighbor. Breezy vocals coupled with a sharp edged guitar, front man Neil Smith pleads “Yeah, Vickie, you always keep me around/ But I thank God you don’t live next door to me.” I think Smith and I have a similar living dynamic.

Stepping on the brakes a bit, we drift into the ballads of this album. “Lips Like Yours” captures the essence of a youthful experience in a relationship. Tasteful lyrics slowly become an announcement of how love will eventually be the result of a personal ruin.

“Pepsi on the House” kicks off with busy instrumentals and catchy vocals. Truly a stand out track with it’s dazzling choruses and, similar to “Vickie” and “Lips Like Yours”, we see a tinge of strained relationships. This track dives into a more raunchy aspect of these relations and we’re invited into the internal thoughts of Smith. The transition into “Look Out!”, a wistful collection of confessions combined with twanging guitar cameos.

From the subdued nature of “Everything About You” to the storytelling on “Give Up Baby Go”, the middle of the album can be characterized by the slower acoustics and tones, and the only momentum coming from the sheer words Smith crafts together to create a tale for the ages.The feeling of heartbreak and lonesomeness oozes through every verse in this range of songs.

The final stretch opened by “Drips on a Wire” is a little bit of what we have seen on the album thus far. Intriguing instrumentation and storytelling tinged with a bit of longing, “Drips on a Wire” takes the place for best track in my opinion. However, “2015” following felt like a filler track. I enjoyed parts of the song like specific lyrics, but as a collective this song was simply put on the backburner for me.

The title track, “From 2 to 3” closes the album with a dreamlike state rivaling that of waking up in the middle of the night in a confused daze. A perfect end in my opinion. 

Peach Pit consistently brings in kicky and fun lyrics as well as instrumentation, but while excelling at this, writing some of the most heartbreaking songs I’ve encountered. This album checks off both of these boxes, however, this album will definitely become one of my all time favorites. I genuinely consider this a no-skip album full of moments to find relatable in a variety of situations. 

Photo Credits from: https://riotmag.co/album-review-peach-pit-from-2-to-3