Take a flashback to 2008 and grab the tv remote. Do you remember watching Sonny With a Chance and Camp Rock?  We were introduced to a bright star, named Demi Lovato. Lovato instantly took over our hearts and we became huge fans of her. She is a powerhouse with an incredible voice, who is able to tell a story with the words she sings. In Dancing with the Devil…The Art of Starting Over, Lovato takes us on the harrowing, emotional journey of her 2018 drug overdose. Throughout this album, fans are placed directly into what Lovato had to endure, in order to make it out alive. 

Lovato’s new album is filled with such emotions throughout every song. The album is filled with a soulful vibe that is going to leave you with goosebumps all over. Some of the songs are accompanied with a strong partnership between Lovato and the lovely sound of a piano. Lovato embodies a persona to Adele, while singing her heart out. One of my favorite songs would be “Met Him Last Night” featuring Ariana Grande. Their voices work together to tell the story of meeting someone and being charmed by them. Lovato and Grande’s voices work together to create a vibe that will have you grooving along. The singers’ harmonies compliment each others voices and showcase how talented they both are. 

In my opinion, two of the best songs off of the album are “Anyone” and “ICU (Madison’s Lullaby)”. “Anyone” is based on Lovato’s  plea for help, as she went down her darkest path in her life. The lyrics “Anyone, please send me anyone. Lord, I need someone?” capture the heartbreaking cries of Lovato not knowing what to look for. This song is sure to bring you all the feels as you listen to Lovato in an emotional, distressed wreck. “ICU (Madison’s Lullaby)” is definitely the icing on the cake. Lovato wrote this song specifically for her little sister, reflecting on her time with her in the hospital. She includes a voice memo saying “I love you” to each other, which will definitely pull of those heartstrings. Lovato’s emotional cries of “I’ll say a prayer and keep you near, You’re always there with me” grasp at the emotional connection of her relationship with Madison. 

Dancing With The Devil…The Art of Starting Over is an emotional, but beautiful masterpiece that will put you in Demi Lovato’s shoes. I recommend this album to anyone who loves Demi or who is looking for new music. 

Picture Credit from: https://thatgrapejuice.net

Morinsola Kukoyi