Intimidiating figures are less of an exception and more of a rule at Alabama. Jalston Fowler and Derrick Henry both carry the ball at over 235 pounds. On the offensive line, four of Alabama’s five starters weigh in at over 300 pounds and all but one stand a 6-foot-5 or taller.

So what’s new? The 305-pound tight end. Former offensive lineman Brandon Greene made the move in preseason camp and is now seeing snaps at the position.

“He’s made unbelievable progress,” fellow tight end Brian Vogler said. “He’s making improvement every day.”

Including in Alabama’s win over Texas A&M, lining up alongside offensive tackle Cyrus Kouandjio for certain personnel groupings to help the Crimson Tide’s power run game.

“It was actually pretty fun playing next to Brandon Greene this weekend,” Kouandjio said. “He was my backup tackle. They moved him to tight end and he played a couple reps. He did good, too. We did some good plays, me and him. It was fun.”

His transition has gone well thus far, according to his coaches.

“I’m pleased with what the guy’s done,” Alabama head coach Nick Saban said. “Obviously we wanted to make that move, I wanted to make that move, so that we could have a physical presence like we had in the game, with two big tight ends in the game.

“He’s maturing now at that position, which gives us other options to do other things. He can block and run and catch. I’m pleased with the way Brandon Green’s developed.”

Greene has yet to reach the ultimate goal of every tight end: catch a pass. But he is not far away.

“He’s working on his route technique every single day,” Vogler said. “We’re trying to throw him in there on more routes in practice so he’ll feel a little more comfortable out there.”

And when he does get there: watch out.

“He was always mobile. He had it in him,” Kouandjio said. “He played basketball so I wasn’t surprised at all.”

Vogler added, “I can’t wait for the opportunity for him running a route out there and you guys being shocked at how he can move.”

———–

For more, click here to see video of Vogler talk about Greene, the tight end group as a whole and more.