Grammys night came with surprises and known wins. It’s always a good time when the artists I love take home awards. The biggest take away from this year’s Grammys is that women dominated in almost all of the categories. They made their presence heavily known on the televised categories.  

Starting with Best New Artist, Victoria Monet deserved that win. She has been in the industry for the longest time and has been behind some of the biggest hits of our generation. Seeing her get the recognition she deserves made me so happy for her. It was a huge night for Monet as she also took home the award for Best R&B album (Jaguar II) and Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical (Jaguar II). She has proven that at 34 years old, it is never too late to accomplish your dreams. I hope to see more Grammy wins for her as the years go by.  

My girl Solana (aka SZA) came into the awards with a whopping nine nominations. She happened to be the most nominated artist for that night. She deserved every nomination and every award that she won. SOS (besides Midnights) was one of my favorite albums of 2022. From songs like “Conceited” to “Notice Me”, SOS is one SZA’s best works to date. She won awards for Best Pop Duo/Group Performance (“Ghost in the Machine” feat. Phoebe Bridgers), Best R&B Song (“Snooze”), and Best Progressive R&B album (SOS). She has swept the floor with her with her incredible work, and she should be incredibly proud of herself. I hope that her upcoming album Lana can also do the same when it gets nominated.  

It wouldn’t have been a fun Grammy ceremony, if Billie Eilish wasn’t nominated. She and her brother, Finneas, got nominated for their hit song “What Was I Made For?”. This song was such a huge hit from the Barbie movie and made so many of us cry while listening to it. The sibling duo took home the award for Song of the Year and Best Song Written for Visual Media. They were able to bring so many people together through their beautiful song. It was fully deserving of the awards that it won.  

Who would’ve thought that Miley Cyrus would manifest her wins at this year’s Grammy awards? If you’re not aware, a clip from Hannah Montana has been going around that has Hannah writing her speech to the Grammys, as if she is about to win an award for Record of the Year. Ironically, Cyrus just won Record of the Year for her hit song “Flowers”. As someone who has been a fan of her for almost twenty years (I know, I feel kind of old), it feels amazing to see an incredible artist like her finally win a Grammy. On top of winning for Record of the Year, Cyrus also won the Grammy for Best Pop Solo Performance. It’s been long overdue for her to win a Grammy. She was snubbed when she released her previous album, Plastic Hearts, but I am glad to see her win! 

Finally, I can’t forget to mention my favorite artist in the entire world, Taylor Swift. She made Grammy history by becoming the first artist to win Album of the Year four times. Swift won this award for her critically acclaimed album, Midnights. Midnights also won her the award for Best Pop Vocal album. It is a fantastic album filled with a range of songs and I’m happy to see it get awarded with the most prestigious award of the whole ceremony. Also, the surprise announcement that Swift’s newest album, The Tortured Poets Department, had my jaw on the floor. I really thought she was pulling my leg with that. Anyways, I can’t wait for April 19th to come around, so that I can stream that album! 

Everyone who got nominated had amazing work and should all be proud of themselves. I can’t wait to see the nominations for the next Grammys.  

Graphic made in Canva