Here’s the story in 90 seconds:

By Rich Robinson

Click to listen to the story:

It’s SGA Election Day, March 11, 2014.

An out of state student turned whistleblower records a conversation with Vice President of Student Affairs candidate Stephen Keller who is campaigning on the Quad. In that conversation, Keller says that his campaign is working with other campaigns under the banner of “Students for Experienced Leadership.”

“Yeah, I know them all, they’re all great.  We started this platform because we’re being opposed by a lot of people who don’t have any experience in SGA whatsoever… And I feel like we ran this and we started, we started to announce ourselves as ‘Students for Experienced Leadership’ today because we feel experience is necessary.”

After a landslide victory, Keller admits to passing out neon- green flyers that he didn’t pay for.

photo(1)

The flyer that Keller passed out to students during the last day of campaigning. (Rich Robinson)

[REPORTER]: “When your financial report comes out, is it going to say anything about this green form?”

[STEPHEN KELLER]:  “Uh, no it’s actually not, I only report finances I personally spent, and like I said, I was handed flyers, and I started handing them out to students, thank you very much.”

Keller’s opponent Elliot Spillers calls Keller’s admission of elections rule breaking, “pretty bold” and files a complaint to the Elections Board.

[ELLIOT SPILLERS] “if justice should have it then he would get disqualified.”

Screen Shot 2014-03-11 at 11.31.25 PM

Screen-capture of the Stephen Keller campaign Twitter account with the whistleblower prominently featured. (Rich Robinson)

Weeks later, Keller is found guilty of violating, “the spirit of a fair campaign” and is forced to complete 75 community service hours if he wants to keep his job.

Spillers then appeals to the student Judiciary in a last ditch effort to disqualify Keller but is defeated.

Keller is now serving in office.

This story is part of an ongoing series on campus corruption. We need your help in hunting down the truth: http://instagram.com/p/nCr2Rxg6-3/# (Rich Video)

Capstone News Now is the flagship news program of WVUA-FM and is on the air every Monday-Thursday from 3:30 to 5:00 PM.