TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Statement from Dr. Robert E. Witt, chancellor of The University of Alabama System:

I am pleased to announce that Dr. Judy Bonner has been unanimously elected president of The University of Alabama effective immediately.

Having had the pleasure of working with Dr. Bonner for the last ten years, I can say firsthand that she is one of the most intelligent, well-focused and forward-thinking academic administrators in the nation. She began her career at the Capstone in 1981 and has achieved the highest measure of excellence as a faculty member, department chair, dean, executive vice president and provost, and most recently as interim president.

Please join me in congratulating President Bonner on her election. She is a tremendous asset to The University of Alabama, The University of Alabama System, and the state of Alabama.

Statement from Dr. Judy Bonner, president of The University of Alabama:

It is with great pleasure that I accept the position of president of The University of Alabama.  I am looking forward to working with the board of trustees, the chancellor and our students, faculty and staff as we continue to build on the progress and momentum that have led our University to such unprecedented success.  We have so much to be proud of and so much to look forward to and, together with our alumni, fans, friends and supporters, we will remain committed to excellence and quality in everything we do. Please join me as Team UA celebrates our storied past with a dynamic and energetic present and a bright future filled with opportunity.