Alabama wide receiver Kenny Bell crossing the goal line for his first touchdown of the 2013 season. (Photo by UA Athletics)

The “chip on their shoulder,” Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron said the offensive line practiced with after a lackluster performance against Virginia Tech was evident, as the unit cleared the way for 568 yards of total offense in the Crimson Tide’s 49-42 win over the Texas A&M Aggies.

“In our off week, I said these were some of the best practices we’ve had as a team,” McCarron said. “With three new lineman starting, you’re not going to have your timing. It’s a great job by them adjusting all day long.”

Head coach Nick Saban saw the offensive line lead its entire offensive unit to a rebound performance.

“We spent a lot of time talking about what we needed to do on offense to be a good offensive team,” Saban said. “I think the offensive line played a lot better today, I think we had a lot better plan today, I think AJ did a better job of implementing that plan today. When they pressured, trying to stop the run, we surely made them pay with some plays in the passing game.”

Performing under pressure

The Tide’s longest offensive scoring play of the game came from a player who, at one point, was planning on not being there. Wide receiver Kenny Bell, who announced a retirement on Twitter before taking it back later, took a screen pass for 51 yards and a touchdown in the second quarter to give Alabama a 21-14 lead that it would hold onto for the rest of the game.

“Yeah, Coach just gave me a day off as a personal day, it came down to my kids,” the senior said. “I’m very, truly thankful for that.”

Bell labeled the off time in between the two games as an, “up-and-down roller coaster.”

A roller coaster that concluded with him calling his big play the night before.

Identity change en route

Jalston Fowler arrived to Tuscaloosa as a freshman and Alabama’s biggest running back by no small margin. As time went on, he was seen as a fullback in rare I-Formation situations.

Now, he may be Alabama’s most versatile offensive weapon: being deployed as a running back, H-Back and a fullback, including catching Alabama’s final touchdown of the game as a fullback.

The catch was another step for Fowler to prove that he is more than a bruising ballcarrier: he can wreak havoc in space, too.

And he already knew that. No need to be nervous as the huddle broke before his touchdown catch.

“No sir, but I almost jumped offside. Almost,” Fowler said. “I was so anxious because I didn’t see anybody over there, so I was like, ‘Man, this is a wide open touchdown if I get out there.'”

The touchdown helped Fowler bounce back from what he deemed an unsatisfactory performance in the season opener against Virginia Tech.

“Like I’ve been saying, the first game I feel like I didn’t play too good so I had to come back off of this game,” he said.

Now is Fowler just a big bruiser? Just a blocking fullback? “No, sir.”

(RELATED: Click here to see video of Fowler’s touchdown grab, with more video from the sidelines of Kyle Field.)

After the fact

In a game where, after the first two possessions, so few things went wrong for the Tide’s offensive unit, one thing did that did not influence the outcome of the game: a 15-yard penalty on running back T.J. Yeldon for excessive celebration after his rushing touchdown.

Here is a GIF of the celebration, that was done just inches in front of a referee.

“That’s not us. That’s not our program, that’s not what we do,” Saban said. “We never ever tolerate it and we never ever have. I don’t think there’s a place for it in college football. I don’t control what other teams do, but I can certainly control what our guys do.”

Saban made his displeasure apparent at the time, too.

“Did you watch me?” Saban joked.